Thursday, April 19, 2012

Individualism in Group


In the article,” Individualism in Groups,” the author discusses how people act differently when they are in a group or by themselves. The author brings two experiments to support this idea. One experiments is students act differently when smoke pours in to the classroom. Students who were by themselves acted faster than students who were in a group. Another experiment also shows people acting differently when they hear a loud crash and scream. People who are alone go to help others often then people who were in a group. The author explains that because responsibilities are allocated when people are in a group, they do not feel individually responsible. I agree with the author’s idea that “diffusion of responsibility ” or “social loafing” makes people lazy.
            When I came to the U.S., I had to find an apartment to for myself. I could not speak English at all, but I pushed myself to contact people on a craigslist who are looking for a roommate. I started looking for apartments before my dormitory contract expired. I finally found ones, and I was there for two years. After lease expired, I had to move again. Second time I moved, I had a roommate and together we looked for an apartment. However, because of  “diffusion of responsibility,” I became lazy and let her do hard work of looking. People can become lazier when more people share responsibilities.
            This experiment reminds me of that Management Text Book from Management class. In the textbook, there is explanation of advantages and disadvantages of large group meetings. Large group meetings can produce many ideas; however, individuals tend to participate less at the meetings. Small group meetings offer a better chance of speaking up because each member feels responsible.
            “Diffusion of responsibility” occurs everywhere. In the classroom, when there are more students in the class, more students become observers. Students also hesitate and wait for others to start participating when professors or teachers ask questions. These students tell themselves that someone else will raise their hand. This is the most common form of  “diffusion of responsibility.”
            People act differently when they are in a group or by themselves. People tend to become lazy and hesitate to do their part because of allocating their responsibility. 

1 comment:

  1. The first paragraph has some details about the experiments instead of only main ideas as summary.The first example is almost developed (though two people are not a group) but the second needs more work--perhaps think of another example.

    ReplyDelete